Friday, December 9, 2016

Final Project

I thought I would have created three or four stories that introduce ideas from the class like gender, advertisement, male gaze, and politics of sex.  I created one story about body image and how the parents chose to help their daughter.  It is on tumblr and shows how media affect lives.

The project was done with crayons as a medium which shows simple ideas but also contain a second layer to the story.  The story was inspired by this quote that "the mass media reinforce and reproduce thinness within a whole history of cultural constructions of femininity which make it acceptable to audiences and so sellable to advertisers" (Wykes 207).

I hope the tumblr page could introduce and create interest in topics relating to women. It may be great to enjoy funny stereotypes in mainstream media but if someone wants to explore other kind of media, why not books by bell hooks or Audre Lorde.

resources
"conclusion" from The Media and Body Image by Maggie Wykes
Thanks to Nubia, a hunter student, who helped me learn the color wheel and told me about crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment