Friday, November 11, 2016

Project Proposal #2 ASHLEY ROTH


Ashley Roth

Professor Cacoilo

Media 384

November 9, 2016

                                                     Final Project Proposal #2

            I am appalled that Hillary Clinton did not win the 2016 Presidential election.  She has the educational credentials, political experience and wants to help everyone regardless of their sex, gender or their religion.  I heard on the news channels that about 85% of men voted for Donald Trump because we live in a sexist society.  After I found out the results of the Presidential election, I started to think about everything I learned in this class and how sexist our society truly is. I became so upset that Hillary, a qualified, experienced, and strong woman would surely defeat a sexist, racist, unexperienced Trump. I have become more aware of the various problems that women still face in America’s Patriarchal, sexist society especially due to the unjust result of the Presidential election.

 I would like to create a video on YouTube where I will give several reasons why I am a feminist. I will then supply numerous reasons why I am proud to be a committed Feminist in the fight for equal rights for all women. I will either write all the reasons on paper and show the pages to the camera or will say the reasons aloud. I will include some images, as well. to depict the reasons that I believe in feminism. For example, I will show images of how women are objectified into various body parts in the Advertising Industry as I state the reasons that I am a feminist. I will use some information from the articles we read from class to show that females are judged so harshly which results in low self-esteem. One reason why I am a Feminist is because no one is perfect and society dictates what “a perfect woman is” when there is no such woman in real life. Of course I will include other examples why I am a Feminist. Some of these examples will come the readings in class, while others will be my own personal reasons. The goal of my video is to encourage women to become feminists and stand up for women’s equal rights. I hope to inspire women and girls of all ages to realize how prevalent women’s inequality exist in our society and to encourage them to fight against such injustices.

            In my video, I will also include several ways that the audience members can join Feminist organizations that are committed to fighting against sexism and fight for equal rights in our modern society. It is very important for women to know about different organizations so they can get involved in them. I truly believe that my feminist YouTube video will encourage women and girls to join in their quest for equality through these various organizations. I hope that men and boys will watch my video, and join in the fight to put an end to our Patriarchal sexist attitudes and beliefs that women should be objectified, seen but not heard, and remain barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.  Enough is enough, women deserve to be treated with respect! All women should enjoy the same equal rights like their counterparts, men!  Let’s unite!

Works Cited:



Beauty and the Beast of Advertising- Jean Kilbourne





Body Messages- Wykes Gunther





Mulvey, Laura. “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema.” Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings.  Eds. Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen.  New York: Oxford UP, 1999: 833-844





Sex, Lies and Advertising- Gloria Steinem


Image result for feminism quotes


Image result for feminism

Image result for feminism


3 comments:

  1. Ashley, your project idea seems very powerful and I am looking forward to seeing it. You may want to look at a few of these videos because they may give you some ideas for your own video. Just an idea, but I think that if you do something like an "I am a feminist because..." campaign to include in your video, it will be very interesting to watch. http://feministbecause.tumblr.com/

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJRFClybmk (Why I'm a...Feminist)

    And here is a list of a few reasons why someone may be a feminist:
    https://www.theodysseyonline.com/reasons-why-feminist

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would your project be different from others? I think being a woman is very vague. I am available to help produce video if needed cause I do not know any other way to help right now. looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of giving the audience advice on how to join a feminist organization. Simply listing a few of these and giving interesting information about them may just spark curious minds to actually take A look at least, even if they don't join. when doing this though, try not to just list women as the main targets, it is very important for women, but i think also trying to target men in the process of the video can be beneficial. We need more men who are willing to stand up and be feminists and fight for equality as well. I feel like sometimes, since we are women and we are the ones suffering from gender inequality we can be quite biased and just focus on women, but we need to focus on men too.

    ReplyDelete