Saturday, November 5, 2016

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I have two ideas that I am currently thinking about before finalizing my decision depending on which one would be better executed and substantial. My first idea revolves around the fetishism of Asian women. The idea behind this is not only the fact that women are constantly harassed, sexualized and objectified, but Asian women have even more different things said to them. There are stereotypes about Asian women that completes the male fantasy, which causes them to say they want to have sex with an Asian woman because they have “never had sex with one of them before”, as if we were a novelty, as if all Asian women are the same. This type of fetishism makes me frustrated and mad. This topic combats the idea of stereotypes and the objectification/sexualization/harassment of women.
I’d really like to read Yell-Oh girls to have more ideas on how I could make this better, but so far I am only relying on the experiences of my friends’ and I. These experiences may actually be enough because I want to show the public what we go through and explain that this is not the case. There needs to be awareness that fetishism of an ethnicity is a real thing and it is wrong.
The way I am thinking of executing it is through a spoken word poetry piece. I’d talk about what guys typically say to us. It will be something explaining that what men say to us is what we ought to be but we really are other things. I plan to record myself speaking, whether it is a video or voice recording, I am not to sure. If it is a voice recording, I plan to have an illustrative video that goes with it. I plan to upload this on YouTube and share this with my friends. Hopefully it will be good enough to make an impact and let people realize that this is going on.
My other idea is the gender stereotypes in terms of gaming, specifically League of Legends because that is the game I play and its community is well known for its toxicity towards everyone and especially females. There are stereotypes about this as well. “Girls can be popular streaming League because they show their boobs. They don’t even have to be good at this game”. If a female is good at the game, then it has to be because a male has been helping them.
I’d like to prove that this is not always the case. Women should not be subject to these types of stereotypes and assumptions. The way that I plan to combat this is through a video. Whether it will be something like spoken word or just a rant, I’m not sure. I am thinking about having a male speak the piece first, explaining typical moods and sayings that gamers say, but are sometimes exclusive to guys. After that, I will start speaking and state that girls feel this way too and go into what we are and what we are not. This video would be uploaded to YouTube and possibly posted onto the Facebook groups that are for people that play this game.

1 comment:

  1. I think it may be interesting to explore how the feishization of asian women intersects with the world of gaming. One of my best friends is Korean is a semi-pro league of legends player (I don't know if that's the correct terminology but she's really good and active in the community). When guys learn that she is into gaming there seems to be only one of two responses: They either just about come in the pants or get defensive and angry. It might be interesting to explore why this is and why it is the case with so many female gamers.

    ReplyDelete