Saturday, October 22, 2016

A children's book: Final Project Proposal

Daphnie Gonzalez 
October 22, 2016 
Women in The Media 
Project Proposal 

As I thought about myself as a child and what influences greatly impacted my childhood, I decided that my project should be focused on children. I strongly believe that children's education and life experiences greatly impact how a person views the world as an adult. The foundation on which a child stands on, I believe makes all the difference. I want to slowly crush gender roles and gender norms for children. I know that this may be very hard and nearly impossible but this thought has paved the way to my class project. 
For my project I would very much like to write children's bookParenting is in part, preparing our children for adulthood one day. And we do this slowly. One example, we ask our children what they want to be when they grow up. We set ideas into their expanding minds that they can be anything in the world and to start thinking about that now, whether there 6 years old or 15 years old. But as I've noticed, because how the world is viewed, gender norms slowly pile in, and often children stray toward what they see as normal occupations for their gender.  
So for my book, I would like to break it up into three parts. I want to first focus on girls and occupations that are not in the norm for a woman (this part has of the book is finished). Then for the second part I want to focus on boys occupations that are not in the norm for men. Lastly, I want to mesh these 2 parts and create a section that focuses on all jobs for everyone.  But I want to bring this to life in a fun rhyming way that is short, concise and captivating for children. I want to do this in a three part way because I feel like parents may feel more inclined to read this to their children if it somehow caters to what they already know (which are gender roles).  I may not be able to add illustrations because I don't know anyone who is capable of that kind of artistic work but I will definitely see if I can find someone.  
As far as where I will be able to publish this, I am not to sure. I am hoping that if it were possible to be able to get it published as an actual hard cover book I would really like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment