Friday, September 9, 2016

This world we call Media

In this age, media can be anything and is everywhere. Whether its television, or social media websites, or magazines and newspapers, its the way information is passed on to the public. Its a general terminology which everyone can play a role in.  I use instagram everyday. I dont contribute as often to instagram but its a way i keep in touch with peoples lives. And whats going on in the world. Everytime there is important information about a black lives matter movement the first place i see it is on instagram. I see it, and then frantically start searching google for whats going and whats the latest update. Thats how many people i know contribute to media. And its a big way as to how i absorb media.

I love movies. I dont get to watch nearly as many as I'd like to,  but i like to think thats one kind of way to see how certain parts of the world or certain cultures are seen in the public. Movies are filled with so many biases. As a child i watched many action movies, all of which had a the tough big heroic MALE character and i used to want to be that MAN because i thought "wow men have so much power". I dont think this in this manner anymore. But many times when i watch a movie, i look for the subtle ways that women or people of color may be downgraded or at the character's stereotypical personality.

Like this picture here from the latest hit movie Suicide Squad. He had the typical hispanic accent with the typical tattooed body of a gangster with the typical belief in jesus christ whom seeks redemption in one way or another. (I will note my boyfriend says I'm extremely critical of movies. Even though i love watching movies.)

The way the media portrays women and men i think contributes alot to how people see themselves. I know when i open up a magazine i wont see a girl modelling clothes that will fit my body. Or even slightly look like the way i do. I'm constantly cross between loving my body and wishing it was "media sexy". Im a somewhat thick hispanic woman who wears average clothing. I dont see that portrayed by magazines or popular shows either. Alot of the times i feel the media pressures me to want to spend money on hot clothes and the latest technology even if i dont have the resources. Because thats what rich stars do and i should want to be like them? I dont think i really do but i think its an idea placed high on the charts. Some people I know will waste money on red bottom shoes even if they don't have it.
Take a look at these shoes! They cost a mini fortune! But why wouldn't we measure ourselves against others portrayed in the media?http://us.christianlouboutin.com/us_en/shop-online-3/women-1/women.html?p=0

No comments:

Post a Comment