Friday, September 9, 2016

About myself

 Who do you think you are?

I am an asian girl who is pretty much into Asian Dramas. I am not a big social media person, but I do use social media. But for now, I would rather talk about the media that I watch on a big screen. I was dramas, But, that's not to say that I have never watched American shows, because I have! However, the few shows I watched are Grey's Anatomy, Twisted, Tut, some Disney Channel Original TV Shows, are all coincidentally centered around a women's love and sex life. That's not to say that all American TV shows do that, but they all have in common at least a scene per episode that contains sex or love and that there are more sex scenes than the actual plot. To be honest, I want to just watch television without a lot of sexual tension. It is really hard for me to look for those shows, but luckily for me, I found other media that fits my taste.
Most of my media consumptions revolves around asian media. I watch dramas that are mostly from Asia. Most of the dramas I watch are usually surrounding a female protagonist who is usually in a struggle situation. Which, for me, I see as the character grows and develops the female protagonist becomes stronger!

What I realized is that, most of our personality and how we act are all focused and centered around what we watch. If we watch something kickass and something strong and motivated, we tend to follow and imitate what we see. So, if a person watches shows and drams with a female that's shy to talk to others, and very submissive, the person who watches it might do the same thing and not stand up for what he or she stands for. For me, I'm similar to that too. I like to watch a strong female protagonist fighting for what is good, but is also nice enough to care about others. I think the more I watch dramas, the more I realized much of the person I am today centers a lot from what I have been watching. 
Most of the media from Hollywood centers a girl dreaming and growing up to marry a prince one day. I was at work the other day, and I asked my students, what do you want to grow up to be? Almost all of them said, "I want to be a princess!" That made me really upset. In society, we are taught by media that girls do not have to support themselves but rather look for a prince. For example, you can see some old disney movies such as Cinderella and Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. They all center around a girl dreaming to live in a big castle or waiting for the perfect guy to come. Now, it's not to say that waiting for the perfect guy is wrong, but as a women, we shouldn't just depend on the support of the "prince" and support ourselves. 
We all look up to media. And sometimes, even though we critique it by saying how terrible it is, we always end up imitating the things we watch. And we relate to it as though it is apart of our lives. But, I guess, in the end, we or at least, I, can't escape from Media, so I just end up being absorbed into it. look

No comments:

Post a Comment